Whew! What a hectic month!
- We co-hosted “Code Across NYC” right here at the NYU-Poly Varick Incubator with Code for America. The Venn Diagram of Code Across America and the First International Open Data Day!
- NYC celebrated the first anniversary of its ground-breaking Open Data Law. I attended the press conference on the steps of City Hall and celebrated (complete with cake!) with friends from Open NY Forum in Brooklyn.
- Governor Cuomo made good on his promise during his State of the State speech and New York State unveiled its own Open Data Portal
- And just a few days later, revealed that close to 70 local New York governments have signed up to publish their data on the State portal!
And on the company front, it doesn’t let up!
- we’re previewing the revamped NYCFacets and pediacities platform at NYTM tonight
- we’re hosting SMWCon Spring 2013 at NYU-ITP. If you want to find out about Semantic Wikis, WikiData, Open Data and Urban Informatics, this is the place to be! (use the code BIGOPENDATANYC to get a 15% discount)
- I’m speaking at the Open Tech NY conference on Mar 30. My talk – Open Source + Open Data: The Wonder Twins of Civic Hacking 😉
(use the code OPENTECHFRIENDS for a 50% discount)
- we created the BigOpenData meetup the day after the Open Data Law’s anniversary, and already, there are more than 120 members!
- and of course, we’re busily building pediacities – our Big Open Data platform, for launch this summer.
And just this weekend, a must-read eBook – Tech and the City: The Making of New York’s Startup Community was released. It details how and why NYC will be, not only the high-tech hub it already is, but also, the Digital City of our Future.
We (heart) NYC!!!